There were two New College Barge built for Oxford, one around 1903 and the other in
1927. It is believed that this barge is the latter. For many years, these boats were used
for watching the crew racing on the Thames from the upper deck. In the mid-50s the
barge was converted to a houseboat. Is now moored in Twickenham on Eel Island near London.
• The barge is 24.3 m (79ft. 9 in.) with a beam of 4.88m (16 ft.) and a draft of .305 m (1 ft.).
The hull constructed originally of timber has been completely clad in welded steel, with
tar epoxy applied recently and, per a recent survey, is sound. The barge has been well
maintained and still has the original stained glass windows with the roses of New
College. The interior includes a master bedroom, smaller bedroom, kitchen, full bath,
with two sitting rooms, one including a dinning area. It also has a washer/dryer on board
and the kitchen was recently updated with top appliances, including a dishwasher
|Designer:||James Taylor and Bates of Chertsey|
|Builder:||Custom made for Oxford College in the 1920's|
|Model:||One of a kind|
|Length over all:||24.3m|
|Hull type:||flat bottom|
Note: Indicated location is approximate general area only.